Welcome to Y6 2020-21
The class teachers are: Mrs Gay (Monday and Tuesday) and Mrs Marsh (Wednesday - Friday)
The Teaching assistants are: Mrs Petela, Miss Brookes
This is an unusual year, thanks to the global pandemic, however we are going to do our best to continue your child's education in as 'normal' a way as possible. We will be preparing the children for the end of KS2 SATs as well as preparing them for Secondary school transfer.
Here are some 'top tips' to help you on your way:
- PE is on a Wednesday. Your child needs to come to school already in their PE kit. We encourage them to wear warm tracksuit bottoms and jumpers in school colours too, plus trainers.
- Please can your child bring in a water bottle every day as cups are no longer provided.
- We like to communicate with parents and guardians via Class Dojo, so please make sure you are signed up. Do let us know if you, or your child's other parent or guardian, are not receiving Class dojo messages.
- SATs will be taking place during the week beginning 10th May 2021. Please do not take your child out of class in that week, nor in the weeks following SATs (except in the event of Covid-19), which is when all the moderated writing take place - thank you.
- We hope that the week long Residential visit to the Forest of Dean will take place, but due to the pandemic, we cannot guarantee it will take happen, nor exactly when. We will keep you in touch once we know.
- Secondary schools are holding their open days via video links and zoom calls this year. These will be taking place very soon, so please find out when they are and do your best to inform both yourself and your child about the secondary options. Our best tip, based on previous years' experience, is that you are more likely to get a place at a school in whose catchment area you live. In the last few years, schools have been extremely over subscribed.
- In preparation for SATs tests, please make sure that your child is reading everyday from a Y6 appropriate book. Although we are currently unable to send books home, local libraries are open. Please also hear your child read aloud once per week and ask them questions about what they have just read.
- Here is a booklist of suitable books for Y6's: School reading list click here
- Children also need to know their Times Tables inside out, back to front and in random order. Two-thirds of the maths tests are based on times tables knowledge! Here is a link to the BBC's times tables songs and dances, which are a fun and active way to revise or learn tables: Times tables click here
We hope this answers most questions. Please don't hesitate to ask us anything via Class Dojo. We look forward to meeting you all at Parents' Evening, so that we can all help your child do their best in their final year at Primary School.
Mrs Gay, Mrs Marsh, Mrs Petela and Miss Brookes (Y6 Team)